View Single Post
Old 05-19-2003, 05:16 PM   #380
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Peony, Helen,

The first time I read Lord of the Rings, I instinctively connected with Frodo and Sam and the hobbits of the Shire, at least on a superficial level. I spent a lot of time tramping around the English countryside during college and graduate school. I would look around and constantly see scenery, cottages, etc. that reminded me of the Shire. I also had a strong connection with the message about preservation of the land and trees. (Remember that I went to college in the late 60s.)

The parting at the end did not resonate in the same way as it did later. I had some personal experience with death, but not in the same way as when our seven-month old daughter died unexpectedly. At that point, I definitely connected with the brokenness that Frodo was feeling when he left the Shire.

In the sixties, I was less aware of the religious beliefs which influenced the author and his writing. People weren't talking about that much yet. It was the publication of the Letters that opened my eyes to a great deal of the meaning of LotR, whether "spiritual" or the influence of the Nordic tales.

It also took me a long, long while to get to know the Silmarillion. I bought the book when it first came out in the seventies, but I ddn't really appreciate it until I came and posted on the Downs and heard what others had to say.

The first time around, I also had trouble connecting with the human characters. I guess I saw them as too close to me, too normal and uninteresting. It was only later that I felt some affinity for Aragorn, and the tale of his love for Arwen. (At the time, I was more enamored with Elves like Galadriel who seemed so utterly magical.)

My appreciation for Men has widened since understanding the Silmarillion--especially the bravery shown by the Edain and the challenge Men face in dealing with the "gift of Eru," and how they can step outside the music and have a special impact on the fate of Arda in a way that other races did not.

In general I would say this. The first time I read the book, I saw less sadness and more sunlight. Now, I am sometimes overwhelmed with the bittersweet feeling of loss that permeates the end of the book. Much is preserved and goodness does prevail, but so very much is lost.

Gets out hankie......