View Single Post
Old 06-10-2002, 07:52 PM   #177
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Birdie is huddled over the copy of the ancient verse supplied by Pio. "See, it says right here:
'And the sails that were o'the taffetie
Filled not in the eastland breeze.'

So whatever they were talking about in this song, they were going east, too!"

"But where are 'Ireland' and 'Italy', I've never heard of those places, before", said Birdie, with a worried frown.

"They sound scary," whispered Rose.

"There are probably many regions in the East, that we don't know the names of," guessed Child, "The maps we have of the East Lands are mostly blank. No one from Middle Earth has ever explored there...and come back."

"But who was speaking to me in my dream!" demanded Rose.

"This song speaks of a woman who supposedly 'wronged' a lover, and married another instead of him. I wonder who that woman was? I wonder if there is any tale in the books that speaks of such a thing?"

(o.o.c. - I'm serious. IS there a tale in the Silm or U.T. that speaks of a woman refusing to marry someone? Or a guy who got mad at a woman who ditched him?)

"Maybe the voice you heard was the 'fea' of that woman, Rose. She may be trying to warn us. I wonder if it was an Elf who stepped on that deadly ship in the song?"

"And", said Birdie, "who's ol' Green-Face, that I saw in the water, and in my dream? Is he a kelpie, or a selkie, or even a mer-man? In the dream I couldn't tell if he was taunting me or warning me. It's like we don't know who to trust on this voyage. And now we even suspect Legolas of being something other than what he seems. And we don't even know who really lured us on board. Is 'Legolas' working for 'Cirdan' or is 'Cirdan' working for 'Legolas'."

As Birdie sat and pondered these riddles, a small, mean thought came to her head, and she forced it away. If she could only use her shape-shifting on the ship, she could have morphed into a crow and flow away from all this. Birdie hung her head as her face turned red with shame at the thought. Child could have flown away on her dragon, but didn't. Birdie told herself that even if she had the means to escape, she would never leave without her friends.

"Never!" she silently swore.

[ June 10, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]