View Single Post
Old 06-11-2002, 01:14 PM   #195
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Under its billowing sail the catamaran cut through the waves as it rushed headlong to its destination. The Hobbits, already regretting their decision to join this venture cowered atop the central hull while attempting to retain their breakfasts. A dwarf clambered over to Mithadan who was crouching near the mast and looking to the west.

"Well, this is a fine vessel and no mistake," growled the Dwarf. "Not that I have much use for boats. But why did we not simply have the REG drop us onto the deck of our foes' ship?"

Mithadan squinted into the spray while checking the gps. "We are tracking them using my cell phone which Piosenniel 'borrowed'. Its signal is not strong. We know where they are within perhaps a few hundred meters but no better. If we used the REG we would, like as not, 'drop' into the waves rather than their ship. Also, all who board that vessel, save by the 'grace' of its masters, fall asleep. Sleeping warriors are little help. Some power is at work which I don't understand and I am reluctant to use the REG except for the simplest tasks. Its use may work against us. We must rely upon our wits and wills this time."

"How shall we defeat an enemy on a boat which we cannot board?" complained the Dwarf.

"We must use our wits, as I said," responded Mithadan. "Or else..." He glanced meaningfully at the prows of the ship which were each shod with steel tapering down into dire points which lay below the waterline. "Or else we must sink that vessel and save who we can."