View Single Post
Old 07-07-2004, 06:19 PM   #84
Araréiel

Araréiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Aredhel, he broke I think it was a rib or two filming that shot. Though I'm still trying to figure out if that was a bad MSN article or if they really were stupid enough to have a main character (main as in not easily replaceable-Eowyn was filmed in 6 months, and Arwen in less time I think, but Orli was there the whole time) film such a dangerous scene nearer the end of filming!

I do think the main problem so many people have with him now is that he was a percet character in the books, but sacrified for sex appeal for the film, much as Merry and Pip were sacrificed for comic relief. I understand the PJ was working on such a huge budget, no backing down if film one bombed. Most films, if #1 bombs, just don't make #2. But since they were filmed together, the risk was great, even if it was half the cost of filming three individual movies.

For visual appeal, and to draw in people who would later be fans, Jackson had to take certain concessions. I feel there is very little to laugh at in the books. And to try to make new fans with a movie three hours long would be difficult. Most people cringe at the thought of a three-hour-movie.

Arwen was added in more partially to show the relationship between her and Aragorn (imagine the chemistry between Aragorn and Eowyn, butthen this strange Elf coming in at the end and vapor-lock-smooching Aragorn!-Non-readers would be like, Huh? ***?) and also to appease those morons who think Tolkien is disrespectful of women in not giving more than Eowyn a very active role. Or so I real. But it fits.

A three-hour-movie, all serious, no matter how beautiful the overall scenery and visuals, would be to "dull" for people who haven't read the books and developed an appreciation for Tolkien. Hence the chance of Merry and Pip to comics. But they were so perfectly cast it's forgiveable-almost. At least it's enjoyable!

But with Legolas and the legions of girls who pine away in their little teen-age dreams cheapens him to a great extent. I had a crush on him once, and got over it when I found out Orli was (and still is) dating some girl from the movie Blue Crush (I can't keep interested in a guy who's with someone else). The first time I watched FotR, before the books, I hardly noticed him. I was so into the story as a whole, and I knew that things would be changed. So I watched the DVD again immediately, and was hooked. It wasn't until after reading the books that I noticed Orli, and was actually confused at first since I had pictured Legolas as a dark-blue-eyed, sometimes brown-eyes, Elf with long black hair. Then there he was as a blonde? I go back and forth between liking my version better and liking Orli's version better. My version is brisker, but Orli's version is softer. It depends on my mood.
Araréiel is offline   Reply With Quote