View Single Post
Old 01-31-2006, 12:24 PM   #438
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Alright, I am back with more time and finally able to make a proper reply to several things that have been said earlier.

I finally got around to reading that link on Greek Fire. . .it took a miserably long time to get aroudn to it, I know, but that can't be helped. I don't quite understand - was the stuff unquenchable? I don't like the idea of having my ship burned from beneath me. I don't mind flaming arrows, those are quite reasonable, but the Greek Fire sounded formidable, to say the least. We can do something like, but can't it please be something that we can at least put out when it catches on fire?

Quote:
Originally posted by Aman:
The triumph of the battle is somewhat wearing off, adrenaline of battle is kicking in - and so are the Gondorians as one of them returns the favour by swinging across to the Fame and Fortune - lets have a main character, why not! Which of you 'good guys' fancies a bit of a hero moment and a good battle with Rakin?! Thus chaos and good old fashioned swashbuckling ensues.
I have my doubts about any of the Gondorian ships fighting hand to hand with The Fame and Fortune. I'd be just fine with the idea, if you could think of a way your ship could escape after being boarded. That's what it would take, I think, for one of the main characters from one of our ships to board and fight with Rakin. I think that the Corsair ships would have the best chance, in this battle, if they weren't linked to any Gondorian ship. Generally, when two ships are brought side by side, and one crew boards the other, the battle is fought out, and one or the other comes out the winner. . .
I don't mean to shatter any of your ideas or your excitement, but I don't see how it's possible. We can fight with the other Corsair ships (the ones who's foolhardy sailors decided to get too close to our ships and try to board one or two of them), and we can even fight with Fame and Fortune, exchanging a few blows from a distance, but I don't think it's possible for anyone to get close enough to board her.

I don't know if I'm making any sense. To myself, I seem to be rambling.

Okay, here, I think it will work if, as Aman said, the Corsair ships run in and do a bit of damage to us Gondorians. We'll be half expecting that, because that's how Corsairs act - flirting with danger and what not, attacking first, instead of running right away. . .

And then they can attempt to make their retreat. We manage to catch two or maybe even a third of your four ships (Fame and Fortune is included in there) and we give whatever we catch a good working over, so to speak, while Fame and Fortune and possibly the last Corsair flee down river. Those ships that we catch and board, we'll be able to take prisoners/free slaves as necessary for the story. The Raca can even be one of the Gondorian ships that boards a Corsair. Or, to get really overwhelmed, and since we do have rather many ships, there could even be two Gondorian ships connected to a poor Corsair at once.

With all your fire damage done, and maybe even some ramming, we'll have to stop at Pelargir and do the best we can with repairs, and help the city get back on her feet after the attack. In a week, hopefully, we'll be well on our way, though, fully repaired and prepared, once again for battle.

Does that cover everything? If anyone would like to add anythign or disagree or whatever, go right ahead.

-- Folwren