View Single Post
Old 05-26-2008, 08:02 PM   #55
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
... how fascinating it would have been to be there with the Hobbits! Wouldn't you have loved to hear the stories of the early ages of Arda? He seems to go backwards in time with his tales.
I've often felt the same. More detail, Professor. WHAT were those stories! But that's his style; wave a little at the ancient-ness of it, and you create the wonder. I wonder, all right, I wonder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
... Interesting that Frodo's question about Old Man Willow was answered in the morning rather than in the dark - much like Gandalf telling about the Ring, Wraiths, etc. in Bag End. "Such matters were best left until daylight," was what the Wizard said there. Tom says, "Some things are ill to hear when the world's in shadow." What would you imagine to be the reason for that?
Because it's scarier in the dark. THe ringwraiths wait to attack until dark because fear is stronger then. It makes their job easier.

Quote:
Did you notice that Goldberry withdraws early in the evenings, and the males carry on talking until late? I wonder why - does she need more sleep, or is there another reason?
Maybe she's giving the men-folk some space. And maybe she's heard, or knows, those stories already... Maybe she's weaving their good-night-sleep over them. Or maybe she's preparing for her washing day.

Quote:
One line impressed me this time, sticking with me for no apparent reason: "Tell me, who are you, alone, yourself and nameless?" (...so much so that I have taken it for my signature.)
True; if we are not part of some story, what are we?