View Single Post
Old 06-24-2004, 01:34 PM   #206
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Hearpwine turned back to Hanasían and picked up their conversation where it had been interrupted by Sigurd. He smiled at the young man’s impetuous energy and at the way he struggled to recover himself and live up to his uncle’s undoubtedly high, if oddly expressed, expectations. “Nay,” Hearpwine began again, “I did not meet Master Meriadoc, for I never came to Edoras during the War. I arrived too late for the muster and had to content myself with skirmishes upon the northern marches. When the War was over I was ordered to remain with a small band of Riders on the frontier and guard it against any incursions from the remnants of Mordor. I was only able to join the rest of the Rohirrim when they brought back Theoden to his Hall. On this journey I met many folk who have lived in my imagination since, including the Halflings. But of all the greathearts of the Shire, only Master Gamgee spoke with me at length.” They talked for a while longer about the Halflings and what they knew of their doings and ways, which was little for Hearpwine, as all he knew was from the few songs that mentioned them. Hanasían had more knowledge of the little folk, but as he had never travelled in their land much of what he reported was rumour.

As they talked, Hearpwine sensed an odd sadness, or perhaps an unfulfilled longing in the Ranger. It was strange enough indeed to see one such as him in these lands in these days, as most of the Dunedain had gone to Minas Tirith with their lord and spent their days in Gondor and to the lands south and east of their kingdom. But added to the strangeness of his mere presence was the fact that Hanasían still wore the robes of a Ranger and not the cloth of a royal retainer of Gondor, nor the sign of any other higher rank. Finally, there was the quill and parchment that was an almost constant companion to the Man, although they were not in evidence this morning. Hearpwine found him intriguing as a result of these, but knew not how to question the man about them.

Another yawn overtook him and his eyes near watered at the strength of his fatigue. He smiled in apology to his companion explaining, “I slept but three hours last night, and that was fitful enough for I was constantly being awoken by the King’s own dogs: they had taken a liking to my beard and were constantly licking at it.” He laughed at the memory. “I am too weary to be anything but abed…” He suddenly remembered what it was that had kept him from his sleep. Gomen! he thought. By Hrothgar’s mane, I forgot the lad! He looked about the Inn for a sight of the boy but he had disappeared. Hearpwine was stung with shame for having let his promise to take him walking slip his mind so easily. As luck would have it, at that moment the door to the kitchen opened and from where Hearpwine sat he could see Mae speaking with someone. He caught her eye and waved to her, indicating that he wished to have a word. She quickly looked at whomever she was speaking with and, wiping her hands on her apron, came toward him.

Hearpwine turned back to Hanasían in order to explain. “I’ve just remembered that I promised to take young Gomen with me on a walk outside Edoras this day. He seems to have grown weary of waiting and disappeared. I’ll just ask his sister where he has gone.” Mae was soon beside their table, and looking a bit uncomfortable to be there. She said that she did not know where her brother had gone, but that she would find him and say that Hearpwine was ready to go for their walk. As the lass turned away, Hearpwine asked if she had obtained permission to join them. Mae blushed, saying “I was just speaking with my mother about that when you called, Hearpwine. I do not know, but perhaps you and Gomen had best plan on going alone…” Hearpwine felt a tinge of real disappointment but did not let it show. He knew what people were beginning to think of he and Mae and he did not want to set tongues wagging any more about the girl. It was one thing to be a man and have people speaking of you – it was entirely different for a comely young lass.

Mae left them and went in search of her brother. Hearpwine turned back to his companion, and said. “We may not have long to speak, now, before I am dragged out of here by young Gomen, but I must ask to know somewhat of your story. I had thought that all the Dunedain were gathered in Gondor with the King Elessar, and that you had all been elevated to the ranks of knights and lords. How is it that you are here as a Ranger of the North, seeking to record what others have to say about their lives?”