View Single Post
Old 12-05-2003, 11:24 AM   #247
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"I guess that you are not from around here either, miss - your looks speak of Gondor also. May I ask how you came to be able to command such a rowdy lot from your throne of a bar stool?" Hisimé questioned, smiling and looking to the said barstool, which had become occupied by a little boy drinking milk with his mother nearby.

"Aye, sir, Gondor is my home as well," Aylwen confirmed, moving a step to the left as Tamurilo's daughter Eruvalde walked confidently by her. "My mother was a musician; I suppose I learned it from watching her quiet her audiences. In any case, the bar stool is as close to any throne as I will come, and still it will be of use to others still. Well, sir Hisimé, welcome to Rohan and the White Horse. I fear I must be getting back to work, but I shall see if I can get a meal out here for you soon."

Aylwen smiled and took her leave, going to the kitchen to find the keys for the hallway of forgotten rooms. On her way there, she caught the tail end of some argument at one of the tables. Turning to see if some fight needed to be prevented or broken up, Aylwen saw who the shouts had eminated from: Caster and Windheneb. They were standing and shouting at one another, which confused Aylwen greatly. The two were fighting nonetheless, but Aylwen neglected to call Talan and walked over to their table herself.

"Something wrong over here, Castar? Windy?" Aylwen asked sternly, picking up empty mugs and wondering if the two had had too much to drink.

"There's no trouble, Miss Aylwen," the woman at the table spoke up with a smile, for Castar had taken to looking down at the table blankly and Windheneb had begun to glance over at Castar. The woman continued. "Castar was just telling us about the history and facts about pottery and the like."

"I see," Aylwen murmured, looking to Castar and then to Windy and back again. "Well, if there are any problems, just let me know or call for Talan, miss."

And with that, Aylwen smiled grimly and walked away from their table with their empty mugs in tow.

The kitchen was chaotic and full of steam and the smell of fresh-cut vegetables and meat. Aylwen called a quick farewell to Bethberry as she left through the back door, and Aylwen momentarily wondered where the Innkeeper was going, but did not worry as she grabbed the keys for all the doors. Then Aylwen proceeded to make her way to the back hallway, and unlocked the first door to the hall. It almost jammed itself shut, but after a few frustrated tugs the hall door opened.

Aylwen unlocked the first door on her right, and coughed as she opened the door and stirred stray dust. The room needed serious dusting, and the sheets and covers needed washing, but the old rooms would certainly be ready for boarding in no time. Satisfied, Aylwen unlocked the rest of the rooms but locked the hall door and went to see if any maids could be spared the afternoon serving. Later that night she would show Sigrid to her room, and give a short tour of the inn. Returning the keys to their safe place, Aylwen went back out to the main hall to refill drinks and fill orders.