View Single Post
Old 12-19-2003, 09:08 AM   #259
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Shield

There was so much to do and Bethberry was becoming weary with it all. As soon as she had finished her talk with Talan--and with what relief she had heard him accept the extra responsibility!--Tamurilo came up to her and introduced a plump, middle-aged woman, Gerdwyn. Bethberry knew of her recent loss--Edoras was a small town and almost everyone was known to all--but was surprised to see the woman here, since she usually shunned the Inns and taverns.

"Well, I'll be off to give my daughter some attention," the man suggested, as he left the two women to talk.

"Gerdwyn, I'm sorry about your loss. You are yet young to be so bereaved."

The woman nodded, hesitantly. She was clearly unaccustomed to public places, a woman more comfortable in the private domestic life, but there was also something about her whick suggested a yearning.

"I notice you need a cook, with Froma leaving."

"Yes, he has worked long years here, even before I arrived, and wants to relax a bit, although I doubt he will be happy with days without work."

Gerdwyn took a deep breath. "What might you be looking for in a cook?"

Bethberry smiled. She saw an older woman who had devoted her life to her family and who now was making a small move towards establishing a life of her own.

"Someone who feels at home in a kitchen, who can plan and organize and supervise younger help, and who doesn't mind long hours."

"That might describe me."

Bethberry nodded. "I thought it might. Come, let us find Froma and talk with him. He will give you some of the specifics of running the kitchen and you can prove yourself to him. If he accepts you, I trust his judgement."

The two women strode off to the kitchen in search of the crusty old fellow. Gerdwyn's hands made nervous fists and she licked her lips, but she felt a tinge of excitement.