View Single Post
Old 02-23-2003, 02:40 AM   #90
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This was fun reading, thanks Mr. Ferny. Apologies for the glaring errors in sentence structure, I just re-read my post, wowsers.

I am in agreement with you as well, I like it when that happens. Bilbo's reclusiveness might be a clue to the nature of his relationship with the Ring, although he did also spend much of his time with Sam, enjoying the telling of his tales. I love this idea:
Quote:
Bilbo would have achieved ultimate isolation and privacy by having murdered every hobbit in the Shire.
Extreme measures to say the least, but it does not sound so far fetched to me. Thankfully the process was interrupted. I think Tolkien sends a clear message to us by rewarding Bilbo for willfully parting with the Ring. I have so many analogies dancing around in my head, but I do believe I'll spare you all. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Chicken or the Egg? Dunno. But Boromir definitely believed that his country should be served above all else. And Smeagol definitely believed that he deserved that ring for his birthday. It's mine, my own, my preciousss.

Quote:
What is key is that, despite knowing a great good could be realized, Boromir chose a smaller good. In Boromir's mind, he had two goods to choose from--defeating Sauron and evil (with the ultimate outcome including Gondor's long-term safety!) and saving Gondor now.
I don't think he chose the smaller good in his mind. He chose the greater good that he could see. The only other choice would be to set the Ring in the hands of the enemy, via a Hobbit named Frodo. Personally I choose to define it as denial because he was seemingly oblivious to the Council's proclamations and his own better judgement.

If the Ring weren't so bloody evil and conscious of itself, this would be easier to define, most certainly!

dininziliel - I too like that chapter, it is very pleasant reading.

Tar

[ February 23, 2003: Message edited by: Tar-Palantir ]