View Single Post
Old 06-22-2006, 01:36 PM   #85
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
Tollers wakes up and tries to explain.

Tollers had been floating along in a lovely dream when he felt a hand grasp his shoulder and heard a sharp voice demanding an explanation as to why he was sleeping. He tried to shut out the offending noise by putting his fingers in his ears but found that no longer worked. Struggling upright from a prone position, he knucked his eyes and sat cross legged on the ground, turning a sheepish face toward Dick and trying to smile encouragingly.

The Innkeeper still looked unhappy. For one desperate moment, the hobbit considered whether he should make up a story that might get him off the hook. But somehow Tollers did not think the Innkeeper would believe that his server had been unexpectedly called home last night and had returned this morning only after sitting up all night with a sick calf.....to say nothing of the fact that his father did not actually own a single milk cow. Plus, telling a lie simply didn't seem like the right thing to do.

Instead Tollers confessed to the truth but tried to put as good a face on it as possible. Humbly tipping his cap, the hobbit leapt to his feet and explained, "I am so sorry, sir. I started dragging the furniture inside but it seemed to get heavier and heavier every step I took. There was no one else to help, and those biscuits I had this morning lay a bit heavy on my stomach."

He added as an afterthought, "Perhaps you'd best till Cook to lighten up on the flour. All that, plus the sun and a soft patch of grass, were just too tempting. So I stopped a moment and, before you know it, I must have falled asleep. It certainly won't happen again. And if you don't mind sir, I'll get inside and help set the tables for lunch."