View Single Post
Old 09-19-2006, 06:05 AM   #96
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
As Sorn brandished the dagger she'd purchased that fateful morning (how long ago had it been? Weeks, surely...) Lin's thoughts turned to Degas. What would she give to see him riding in here, cutting down those in his path, pulling her up onto his dark horse...

“You are far from your home. Did you come here to find something, or were you running? Maybe you can understand freedom. Perhaps you understand better than I can fathom?” Sorn's question came as a surprise to her, startling her out of her protective fury. She looked up, eyes suddenly soft, a fleeting thought wondering what horrible things had happened to mold this tall man into such a twisted form.

"When I came here," she said softly, "I think that I understood nothing. Now I understand far too much."

The room was silent for a moment, as Lin wrapped her pride around her once again, and Sorn leered at her through the bars. Her bravado cloaked a terrible fear, they both knew it, and yet, in some unfathomable kindness made stranger by the man's mad cruelty, he did not question it, did not challenge it. Perhaps he too, in his madness, understood more than men should, and in his twisted way took pity on her.

"I came to Rohan as a friend," she said, the icy chill coming back to aid her. "I have been treated as an enemy. I have never challenged the sovereignty of this land, nor have any of my people. My uncle loved this land and her people well enough to give her his greatest treasure. If you truly believe we harbour some deep desire to rule you, then you delude yourself, sir." The title, as she said it, was not one of respect. She sneered down her nose at the man, for once grateful for the height of the men of old. She stood nearly at a level with Sorn.

"It is not too late, you know." She paused, the corner of her mouth twitching in what might have been amusement. "You could claim you found me in some cave or vale, held by bandits. You could return me to Eomer with a hero's honors, be granted a place at his table, rather than the dog's death you deserve."