View Single Post
Old 04-14-2004, 07:38 PM   #96
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Eye Fangorn & Limlight: Mellon-Amroth, Dec 13 & 14

Amroth stroked Echo's neck and the chestnut slowed. "Forgive me, friend, " he murmured, and then nodded at Ędegard. "We will halt where you see fit, " he said. "I am willing to take the first watch."

"We might ride for many miles before finding another stream, " replied Ędegard.

As if in answer, Echo halted and turned. At the Limlight they stripped the horses of their tack, and prepared to sleep. Ędegard quickly made a small fire, and after a meal Amroth stood up, wrapped in the cloak Ędegard had brought for him. He was glad of it.

"You prefer the first watch?" Bellyn asked.

Amroth replied, "I am not used to such sleep and such weariness together. Nor do I relish the dreams that the night hours bring."

"Was your song about the dreams, then?" Bellyn asked.

"Lady, I remember not which began first, the song or the dreams; and that is strange indeed for an elf. But it matters not; indeed, it matters not. I must find her; that is all." He considered her and then softly asked, "A verse or two of last night's song would cheer me, Lady, if I may be so bold."

She was glad, and sang several verses. As Ędegard and Liornung settled in for the night, he nodded. "Thank you, Lady Bellyn. You have cheered me indeed."

He stood under the stars til the night was half spent, and then wakened Liornung for the midnight watch. Liornung's pacing brought him past Amroth, who tossed and murmured in his sleep. Liornung woke Ędegard, for whom the morning dawned clear and cold. They ate, filled their water bottles in the stream, drank their fill, mounted, and rode north.

"Well, Liornung, " said Ędegard, "Shall you sing the day's first song or shall I?"

Last edited by mark12_30; 04-14-2004 at 07:50 PM.