View Single Post
Old 09-06-2003, 12:29 PM   #28
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Aman had heard Cook as she drummed out her orders, and hastened down the stairs from where she had been leaving back some of the linen into the cupboard. As she went past, she caught the scurrying whispers of Buttercup and Ruby as they hurried past, a few used plates balanced precariously on their hands and arms. She didn't catch much of it through the general quiet, excited chatter but didn't have time to ponder on what she heard anyway - besides, eavesdropping wasn't something she indulged in.

Looking up, she smiled at Cook who beamed at her, but it wasn't just any old beam - it was the beam of Vinca Bunce, organisation extraordinaire, brisk being her middle name. Aman's smile very nearly faltered - she had grown to fear that smile - and wondered for a second if she ducked under the bar Cook might not realise she was really there...

"Ah, Aman." No such luck. Even those two words on their own represented briskness and authority personified. At times like this, it didn't matter that Aman was Innkeeper - Cook over rode everything in her fervour. It worked, of course, but in the meantime....

She renewed her smile. "Cook? I heard Pio sent a letter?"

It always rather disconcerted Cook when Aman said things like that, but the hobbit only faltered for a second. "Indeed she has. And we now know exactly when she's coming." She paused dramatically before continuing, five fingers held up to emphasize it. "We have five days."

It was like a proclamation of doom. Aman's jaw very nearly hit the ground. "Five days?" She squeaked.

For a moment it looked like Cook might agree with the tone of her voice, but instead Vinca simply brushed a hand back, adjusting her solid bun and nodding sharply. "Nothing we can't handle I'm sure. Now, Ruby is in charge of getting those rooms upstairs sorted, you're still sorting the drinks, Beren will be in charge of food supplies," the last word was very clear and there was a very slight pause afterwards - it should never be confused as to who was in charge of the kitchen, and it was certainly not Beren. "And he's running down to the Mill for some flour - or should be, drop him a note to let him know, won't you? Oh, and tell Buttercup to go to Sam and Rosie's - they have some lovely strawberries, really the best in the Shire I would say. Hang on, I'll write you a note, give it to her and tell her to go straight away, but to make sure her hands are clean first, couldn't bear having Sam thinking my staff aren't well turned out. There will be not just Pio and her husband Mithadan and the twins, but also two others who are travelling with them." She stopped for breath, observing Aman, who had forgotten half the comments she had meant to make regarding Cook's busy torrent. Vinca narrowed her eyes slightly...

"Letter for Sam and Rosie?" Aman prompted after a moment.

"-which I will just be writing now," Cook added firmly, nodding to Aman. Turning, she bustled away towards the kitchen where she always kept a pen and pad in case any ideas of recipes came to mind. Aman stared after her for a moment, bemused and almost physically assaulted by her torrent of briskness, then followed helplessly, looking around as she did so for Esgalhugwen and Lira - their help would be needed for sure, and that of several others no doubt. Maybe Uien's friend Falowik...a changed man...