Thread: The White Horse
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2003, 09:48 PM   #344
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Talômi sat with his arms folded as Rie stood up from the table. When he followed suit, she leaned over to him and whispered fiercely, "I will talk to you later." The redheaded young man started to protest, but a glare and a warning shake of a finger from his sister silenced him.

"Rie, I--" he tried again, but her furious eyes brooked no discussion. He sighed and hung back while Rie and Nuru left for their room.

Once everyone was gone, Firramer turned to Talômi. "Why don't you tell me all about it?" he asked gently. "I've often been told I'm a good listener and can be a great comfort to those who are confused or upset. I understand how you must feel, but I also understand Eohsecg...perfectly. I won't laugh, and I'll do my best to listen patiently to you and straighten things out a little tomorrow without interfering too much."

Talômi started to say something, but the look of patience in Firramer's eyes somehow stopped him as short as Rie's fury ever had. He heaved a deep sigh and sat back down heavily.

"I just got her back," he said without preamble. "Seven months I was missing her, and I just got her back now. She and I were never apart. Never! I was her shadow. Where Rie went, there I was. Only at night-time were we ever apart, and that only started once we turned seven. She got her own room then, because she was the only girl. I had to move in with my younger brothers until...but that's beside the point." He scrubbed a hand through his hair in frustration. "I don't want to lose her now. I know the looks that Eohsecg is giving her--I recognize them--and I know where it's going to lead, because I see the looks on her face, too. I'm no good at thinking like a woman--what man is?--but I think that as women see it, Eohsecg is a nice-looking man, and chivalrous to boot. What's a twin brother got against that?" He laughed, but there was no joy in it. "He's a soldier, or a scout, or whatever. Women seem to really go for a man who's seen battle."

"I understand that you're a Ranger, though, are you not?" Firramer said. Talômi laughed again.

"I had barely begun true training when Rie left. I didn't wait long to follow her. I would accompany my father whenever he left, him and my older brothers, but I can't say that I ever actually participated in battle. I've got a couple of cuts, but nothing, I'm sure, on what honorable war wounds Eohsecg could show." His voice had grown steadily bitter, and, to his embarrassment, sulkier. He flushed, and began tracing the table with his finger. "I suppose you think I'm being stupid," he muttered, not lifting his head. "And I guess I am. But that's all there is to it." He looked up hesitantly, waiting to see what Firramer would say.