Thread: The White Horse
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2003, 01:23 PM   #348
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Rie sat on her bed, hugging her knees and staring at the ceiling. What was she supposed to do about men? She felt her own fingers brushing her cheek--beautiful?--and lowered them hastily. She was acting like a fool girl with with too much drink in her. And all for a boy, no less!

A light breeze drifted in from the window, open a crack, and shifted Rie's light nightdress. She shivered and pulled the covers over her. Beautiful? She shook her head fiercely. Honestly. If only Nuru was still awake. She would know how to handle boys, undoubtedly. Or maybe Elven men weren't as difficult to handle as humans? She fiddled furiously with her necklace, slipping the ring on and off of her finger. It had been her mother's, passed down through the generations--smith to smith. She felt uncomfortable having it now, having broken that line. No smith--blacksmith or whitesmith or goldsmith--was Talmérië. Just a silly girl all in a tizzy over a young man. She pulled the covers over her head and glowered to herself before she fell asleep.

Talômi, for his own part, could not sleep. He hadn't even gone upstairs to a room. He stayed down in the common room, an empty glass that had contained water in front of him, staring out the window. Why had he been so rude to Eohsecg? It wasn't like Rie was his daughter or anything. Was he so afraid of losing her?

He buried his face in his hands. He couldn't think. Dead. The day before their wedding. Talômi dug his fingernails into his scalp to try and rid himself of the awful image that his mind had composed from Firramer's story. He was being so selfish. "Remember me." A hot tear ran down the young Ranger's cheek, and one ragged sob tore its way out of him. The few other insomniacs looked at him, then just nodded as though they understood exactly what he was thinking. He scrubbed his face fiercely then stood up, knocking the chair over. He picked it up and went upstairs. He had unfinished business.

His determined stride slacked as he actually got up the stairs. Which room was he in? That was Nuru and Rie's right there, and he was sure that Firramer had gone into that one. Oh, yes. There it was. He sighed. Now he'd actually have to do it.

He knocked on the door, and heard a sleepy reply--more of a 'who is it' than a 'come in', but either way Talômi entered.

"Eohsecg?" he said softly, and the young man stared at him in confusion. He smiled apologetically. "I know it's late, but I think we ought to talk."