View Single Post
Old 12-16-2005, 10:15 AM   #4
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
The Council of Elrond was good at accomplishing its purpose, telling us what had to happen to the ring. It can be presumed that the others in attendance, knew of the ring and were brought up to speed prior to our arriving on this scene. If I remember correctly though the theatrical release made less sense. They didn't have Gandalf standing up speaking the black toungue and they cut out some of Boromir. So it seemed, if I remember, more like:

Elrond: Okay we have Isildur's bane
Boromir: Let's keep it and use it
Elrond/Gandalf/Aragorn: NO we can't
Gimli: Well I'll break it
Everybody: Who will take it and let's argue now.

Boromir was greatly added to in the EE and I greatly appreciate this. It helps to showcase Sean Bean and I apprecaite his acting in this scene. It's great to see the seed of lust and doubt already begin to sprout in his mind. After it was just spoken that we cannot use the ring and the issue should be final he again hits the point and doesn't give up on wanting it. We're already getting the idea that Boromir will fall in the end.

As for Aragorn renouncing his claim on the Kingdom, I ask again why? I just see no need for this departure from the book. It weakens Aragorn as a character and he seems overly riddles with holes of self-doubt. Now when he has to lead the company sans Gandalf I can see and agree with his self-doubt but at this stage and on this issue I disagree wholly. Aragorn always prepared for the day when he would take up the Kingship. I would rather see a confident, yet humble Aragorn which PJ and company did not portray well at all.

Ian Holmes gets an A+ for his acting here, especially after our little "Bilbo Monster" attempts to grab the ring and he feels so bad about what burden has been laid on Frodo. I feel his sincerity and sorrow for this. A rather well done role and perfectly casted, unlike Elrond who was cast horribly.