View Single Post
Old 04-23-2006, 08:16 PM   #342
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Athwen was there when Sythric's horse came to a stop by the other horses, grouping miserable and riderless in the falling dusk. She took Thydrė's rein and the mare came to a halt. But Athwen could do nothing with Sythric. The man was sensless, barely keeping his seat, hunched over his horse's neck. His wounded side was towards Athwen and she was loath to touch him, even if she could have done any good doing so.

'Osmod or Leod! Come quick, I need help!' Osmod and Leod were both bending over Vaenosa, and they both looked up when Athwen called. Osmod rose to his feet with a quick word to Leod which Athwen didn't hear and then came to her. 'Get him down. He's badly wounded and he's not awake at all.' Osmod reached up and gently pulled Sythric towards him. Athwen stood nervously by, waiting to see if there would be any way she could help.

There was none as Osmod lifted Sythric to the ground, using his tall, powerful frame to help him. He knelt beside him and began to unfasten the thick, leather guard to get at the wound that caused so much blood. Athwen bent towards him and whispered,

'Osmod, what should I do?'

'Can you stand the sight of blood?' Osmod asked. Athwen shuddered, and somehow the young man percieved it. 'Never mind, Athwen,' he said gently. 'Take care of the horses. Incana and Leod will help me and here comes Eostre.' He nodded towards the hill top above them. 'At least, she may not be coming directly here, but she's still in her saddle and apparently unwounded.'

'I'll make sure all the horses are here,' Athwen said, stepping away. He looked at her over his shoulder and nodded and she immediately turned away.

She went to the horses and silently counted and named all of them. As far as she could tell, they were all there. . .all of them who's riders had been unhorsed. Except Brand's. She turned about and looked for Lady, and in a moment, she caught sight of her atop the hill. Most of them stood in a tight group, but some (Nay was one of them, she noticed in the back of her mind) stood farther away. She went out to bring them in, and when that was done, she would look to their wounds. It would nothing so bad as tending people, she thought, as she started out to fetch the stray ones.

Last edited by Folwren; 04-24-2006 at 07:46 AM.