View Single Post
Old 02-27-2006, 04:21 PM   #124
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Undómë has just left Hobbiton.
Bregoware

Rædwald

Meghan was a little aways from the rest of the group, securing the last of her few possessions to the back of her saddle. His horse already loaded and ready to go, Rædwald walked up along side her and helped her with the last of her knots. ‘I’m only here to see to your well being, little mistress. As your brother asked. I hope the others will not think I’ve come to take over the group itself.’ He smiled down at her. ‘Of course, if keeping you whole means keeping them whole, that will simply be a side benefit for them.’

She frowned at him and he tried to pull his face into a more contrite expression. ‘Just fooling around a bit!’ he offered as an excuse. ‘Give an old Rider turned goat herder some leeway won’t you?’

He glanced up toward the rest of the group. Some had mounted up and it seemed as if they were proceeding forward, though they were bunched together and he could not see who had led off.

Rædwald took the reins of Meghan’s horse and held her steady for the woman to mount up. He handed up the last small leather bag for Meghan to secure to the front of her saddle, within easy reach. Then he mounted up himself and tsk’d to his horse, urging him on. With one last look at the 'door for luck' as Osmod had called his drawing in the dirt, he sent up a silent little request to what powers might be that luck indeed would ride with them.

He kept pace beside Meghan sharing a few words her brother had spoken to him when he’d gone. It would be a considerable ride to the ford as he recalled, settling himself into the pace of the other riders.