View Single Post
Old 03-01-2006, 06:48 PM   #137
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
Wulfham

Dorran took Incana by the hand and guided her over to the edge of camp, pointing to a tall pine that stood some ways off. "Just head in that direction and you'll find a small stream. Be careful there. The ground is tricky....filled with all kinds of gnarled tree roots. Follow it south no more than thirty feet and you'll see a patch of turnips growing near the bank. The clearing is well watered and the sunlight peeps through so I wouldn't be surprised to find other root plants there as well."

There was a moment of silence between them, as Dorran glanced awkwardly over at the girl, wondering how to bring up what was on his mind. He felt he had to say something. "Please, Incana, I hope you don't think ill of me, but I overheard a good deal of what you and Brand were saying. I was watering the horses and managed to come by at just the point you were speaking. I have been thinking a lot about all this. Vaenosa's so different from my sister that I can't make head or tail of her. And I admit I've been angry at her because of her teasing. Yet I do understand that past grief can turn people inside out. She's lucky to have her mother. Her hunting skills are extraordinary for such a young girl, and I am grateful for the food she's provided. Perhaps, she'll get to feel more comfortable with us. I hope so. It will make things easier for everyone, including herself. I just can't say these things to her directly, but maybe you could let her know that I've no wish to be her enemy or hurt her in any way. I've seen enough misery come down on people's heads, and I don't want to be the cause of any more grief for her."

"As to the other question you asked me before, that's a lot easier to deal with. Unfortunately, we don't have enough time for drying the meat. That would take three or four days. But Brand has some salt. You can place some thin strips in a brine solution. Hang the jerky over a low fire until dawn. When we break camp, just pack up the jerky and continue smoking the next night. The whole thing takes about four to five days of smoking and is worth every minute. I remember my parents did this when we were on the run to the west, safe out of the dark lands so that we could light fires again."

Dorran stopped a minute, wondering if he should go on. But if he didn't say this now, he was likely not to have another chance. "Anyways, there's one more thing I must say. Incana, you have a gentle heart. You stuck your neck out for Vaenosa and that's says a lot. Whatever doubts or fears I have about your friend, I have none whatsover about you." With that, Dorran hastily dropped Incana's hand and hurried back towards camp.

Last edited by Tevildo; 03-02-2006 at 03:29 AM.