View Single Post
Old 03-19-2003, 08:56 AM   #1
Iarhen
Wight

Iarhen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Luthien & Galadriel

Both are accounted to be great elves. One as the greatest of the Eldar and the other one as the greatest of the Noldor.

We know that Luthien was the daughter of an elf and a maia. And Galadriel was 3/4 Noldor and 1/3 vanyar. So, in terms of ratial power, Luthien has the upper hand.

But in terms of wisdom and learning, I think I can see a difference and a disagreement with Tolkien. Even though Luthien had a lot of power, Galadriel was born before her, and remained in Middle Earth, learning and acquiring more wisdom, till she departed to Valinor at the end of the Third Age of M.E.

My question is this: Galadriel learneda a lot when she was in Valinor. Her might and wisdom increased by the hard times she faced: crossing the Helcarxe (I cant remember if thats the correct spelling ot the word), Melian's training, Nenya, etc.

Is it a possibility that Galadriel is the most powerful elf that ever walked on Middle Earth? Since Luthien departed so soon, and Galadriel stayed here so long... I think the answer to this question depends on the solution to the thread that asks if elves grew in power as the years passed by... I think they do, because they acquire more knowledge, and knowledge is power.

Galadriel was older, and walked on M.E. a lot more time than Luthien. What do you think?