View Single Post
Old 08-10-2004, 02:53 PM   #46
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Interesting thoughts, Hilde!
I'm trying to catch up after being away on holidays...

I must confess, I have rather mixed feelings about Tom Bombadil...I know that many find him ridiculous but just as many are fond of him. (In any case I'm glad they left him out of the movies!)
Nobody minds if hobbits sing funny verses and dance on tables, but Tom's "merry dol ! ring a dong dillo!" and his capering around do irritate me a bit. I find his behaviour hard to reconcile with the fact that he is so age-old and wise and detached and powerful in his own way.

But I guess that these two sides are somehow a part of Tolkien himself : the "high and noble " as well as the enjoyment of nonsense and fun.

Come to think of it, it's a bit similar with the Elves : in "The Hobbit" the Rivendell -Elves are poking fun at the dwarves and sing a lot of nonsensical verses and don't behave dignified at all! In the LotR itself the Elves are mostly serious, although Gildor and his companions approach with "mingled song and laughter" and Sam remarks that they are "so old and young, so gay and sad" .

As for Goldberry: I find Frodo's reaction to her interesting , he stands enchanted, recites poetry and stammers...almost if he was a bit falling in love with her... "less keen and lofty was the delight but deeper and nearer to mortal heart; marvellous and yet not strange."

About "the ring in his voice" : I was puzzled that Fordim picked this out and saw it as "the Ring" . I thought this rather far-fetched and I agree with Helen, that it only meant a ringing voice (when he recited the poetry, i guess). (Especially since Goldberry said that it tells that Frodo is an Elf-friend.)