View Single Post
Old 08-06-2002, 08:05 AM   #19
O'Boile
Wight

O'Boile has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I beleive a quote from gandalf when he is talking to Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli in Fanghorn could sum this up. I don't have the book with me, but he is talking about how Treebeard is perilous, and then mentions other people who are perilous: "... as am I, more perilous than anyone you may meet, unless you are brought before the dark lord himself...". I would say that this implies that Gandalf was not as strong (perhapse due to his Istari form, and not being allowed to match Sauron with power).

My quotes about Meklor and Sauron being tough fighters were to point out that they were indead tough fighters. Sauron kills Elendil, and Gil-Galad although he is ultimately defeated. Meklor fights a war with the rest of the Valar (before the elves came into being) and holds the upper hand for some time. Even after he is diminished, he defeats one of the stronger (perhapse strongest) elves, and this battle is said to be hopeless for the elf. The point is that they are both tough fighters, although they certainly are not particualrly brave, and will not risk themselves unless it is necessary. In fact, I'm having a tough time thinking of any bad guys who were better fighters. All of the main villans were killed by individual men or elves except for the werewolf (forget the name) killed by Huan.
O'Boile is offline   Reply With Quote