View Single Post
Old 04-28-2006, 02:58 AM   #278
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Undómë has just left Hobbiton.
Away -- Wistan's farm - Dunstede

‘Who is that . . . with Rose?’ Wistan stared into the distance as his daughter and a man he had not seen before came riding down the path toward him. ‘You go see to her, Willim. And you, too, Garan. Make sure that everything’s alright.’ He shifted in his saddle looking from one to the other of his elder sons. ‘Aesc, Breca. Ride along with me. It’s most likely just the new Eorl’s steward, as the boy said. But still I find it odd he’s come so early for the fee. And why didn’t he wait at the Hall til I arrived?’

* Ж *

‘Rose!’ Her two brothers swarmed about her, smiling, and in the process effectively separating her from her companion. ‘Didn’t expect to see you here,’ Garan said. ‘I thought you were spending the day working on your bee hives.’

‘And who’s this?’ Willim put in, bringing his horse about to face toward Thornden. ‘Doesn’t look like a bee to me, sister mine.’ Garan came alongside his brother, his face set neutral as he inspected Thornden.

* Ж *

Before Rose could make the introduction, Wistan and the twins drew near her little group. ‘Wistan, good sir,’ he began, nodding at Thornden. ‘And you are . . . the Eorl’s new steward . . . yes? Sorry, my grandson could not remember your name.’ He moved his arm in a wide, horizontal arc, taking in his sons with his hand. ‘How might my family be of service to the Eorl?’