View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 02:24 AM   #7
ArcusCalion
Quentingolmo

ArcusCalion has just left Hobbiton.
I have been reading the Tengwesta Quenderinwa and I think that if we are to include the Lambion Ontalė we must also include the following sections, as dense as they are. However, I am not an expert in Elvish philological structure to determine if there are any canon issues with the Elvish word-structure and phonology laid out in the other sections. I suppose they could be excluded, but I feel that would be an artificial gutting of the work. I would appreciate input from Fin and Aiwendil (when he recovers) on this. Assuming we do include it (which is most likely not the case, but I assume it here for thoroughness) here is my sample outline for The Lhammas:

Quote:
THE LHAMMAS

Editor's Note
Dangweth Pengolodh
Tengwesta Quenderinwa
- Lambion Ontalė
- Lįmaquenta
- Sundocarmė
- Lįmasampanė
- Mestanyatsė
- Minquetyarmė
- The Earliest Changes and Inventions Common to the Eldar
Essecenta Eldarinwa
- The Primary Linguistic Elements
- Meanings and Use of the Various Terms Applied to the Elves, and Their Varieties in Quenya, Telerin, and Sindarin
- The Clan Names, with Notes on Names for Other Divisions of the Eldar
- Elvish Names for Men
- Elvish Names for the Dwarves
- Elvish Names for the Orcs
- *KWEN, Quenya, and the Elvish (Especially Noldorin) Words for ‘Language’
- Note on the ‘Language of the Valar’
Ósanwė Centa
- On √PHAN, Fana, and Related Matters
The Tree of Tongues
The more I have thought about this section, the more I am inclined to move the Clan Names and indeed much of the material used in Of the Coming of the Elves back here to its origin. If we are including the full text later on, why insert fragments earlier? To this same point, I am somewhat inclined to move the Commentary on the Athrabeth to right after the Athrabeth itself, simply for easier reference. However, this is a more moot point. I have moved the On √PHAN, Fana, and Related Matters from the Scholarly Notes and Essays section to here because of its close relation, both in tone and subject.
In addition, I think we may have to use the Excursus from the grey Annals, if only for the simple fact that Thingol outlawed Quenya is nowhere recounted in the Lambion Ontalė. Anyway, here it is. Thoughts?
ArcusCalion is offline   Reply With Quote