View Single Post
Old 02-14-2018, 05:27 PM   #162
ArcusCalion
Quentingolmo

ArcusCalion has just left Hobbiton.
While working on figuring out a framework for the narrative of the Third Age, I found myself relying heavily on Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age, but the account therein is severely compressed. It leaves out the entire history of Arnor, the Kinstrife, the Dwarven history, the Rangers of Eriador, and much much more which are only to be found in the Appendices of LotR. Thus, to present the narrative of the Third Age as an uninterrupted story in the tradition of the First and Second Ages is impossible unless large portions of Appendix A are used. At first glance this seems antithetical to the project, but upon review of Appendix A I have found this in its preface:

Quote:
The legends, histories, and lore to be found in the sources are very extensive. Only selections from them, in most places much abridged, are here presented. Their principal purpose is to illustrate the War of the Ring and its origins, and to fill up some of the gaps in the main story.
The fact that the Appendices as published are simply selections of material from a larger source is not actually true, as Tolkien wrote them whole-cloth. However, I personally think that this reference provides the framework, even the mandate to include this appendix in full in order to flesh out the narrative of the Third Age. As this is a very radical idea from the point of view of the project, I wish to discuss it with everyone. As the published text is 'canon,' it may not be altered. I would like to hear people's thoughts on the ways in which that applies.
ArcusCalion is offline   Reply With Quote