View Single Post
Old 07-20-2013, 10:56 PM   #3
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belegorn has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
That being the case, did Sauron not accomplish his goal of removing Númenor as a threat to him? Why did he have to follow through with trying to get them all killed? Why could he not have used them in Middle-earth to fight for him? Even if Pharazôn had any lingering misgivings, he was old. He would die soon enough, and what would stop Sauron from standing behind the new king? Or even taking the sceptre himself? Then, he could have ruled over his greatest enemies, using them against the Eldar in Middle-earth.
Elendil was closely related to the King's House. I think most of the King's Men were perished in Númenor's downfall and his household as well. Ar-Pharazôn's wife died in Númenor, and he was stayed in Aman. I don't know if anyone else had more right to be king than someone from his household, the Lords of Andúnië, even though his line was from the female.

"Highest in honour after the house of the Kings were the Lords of Andúnië; for they were of the line of Elros, being descended from Silmariën, daughter of Tar-elendil, the fourth king of Númenor." [Sil, p. 331]

I do not think Númenor itself was the threat rather than the King's of Men. The Númenoreans were High Men and had great abilities of mind and body that surpassed that of other men. As you know, even though Sauron destroyed Númenor it was with the aid of the Númenoreans afterwards that the Elves defeated him. The Faithful, I doubt, would fight for him and they held the kingdoms of Gondor and Arnor. You will note the Black Númenoreans that Gondor had its squabbles with. These would probably be more ripe for Sauron to use as allies. And we know a man of Númenorean decent was his Mouth during the War of the Ring.

Sauron hated them, most of all the Faithful.