View Single Post
Old 08-26-2003, 09:09 PM   #24
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Lindil wrote:

Quote:
Asgon in particular needs to be shownnamed in his continued appearances in the Narn, the Wanderings and finall the Ruin of Doriath.
Agreed.

Quote:
There fate should I think remain unknown.
I think this is the safest option by far.

Quote:
I am in favor of keeping Thingols death as per the 77. Not pure tolkien, but I do not wish to take too lightly CJRT's general conservatism and insight, and long pondering on the matter.
But the Ruin of Doriath devised by Christopher Tolkien is probably his least conservative bit of writing, and the one that he most came to regret after even longer pondering. As Maedhros points out, he states quite clearly in HoMe XI that he regrets the invention of the story.

Quote:
I think personally that this is the most troublesome part in the whole affair. What would be the interaction between Thingol and the dwarves?
I would say that the words of Q30 should be taken as authoritative - "Thingol... scanted his promised reward for their labour; and bitter words grew between them, and there was battle in Thingol's halls". If no better can be done, we can simply use the words of the Quenta.

Quote:
That is exactly what I’m doing. By following the Tale, we could use that while Thingol went for the Hunt, they somehow drifted outside the protection of the girdle and there were ambushed by the dwarves.
I'm not sure that the hunt ought to be retained. The note indicates that Thingol was "lured outside or induced to go to war beyond his borders". Going on a hunt and accidentally straying beyond the Girdle does not quite fit this description.

Why not simply say that, hearing of the Dwarf army, he decides to go to war and he rides forth beyond the borders?
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote