View Single Post
Old 04-02-2004, 01:13 PM   #34
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
Quote:
Secondly, it seems to me like a good thing (and in accordance with the principles and the goals) to incorporate older details when you can, so long as they do not conflict in any way with later conceptions. The goals of the project after all, state that "much will be worked into the narrative framework provided by CJRT... whenever possible," and that it will be a "compendium, primarily in narrative form, of all of the writings." It's true that we don't know whether JRRT left these details out intentionally, but we also don't know if he left them out accidentally or because he simply ran out of time.
I would really like that, but I think that this can really open up a Pandora's box in the project. If we were to make such additions from BoLT, for example in the Ainulindalë and Valaquenta who would be the author of such notes? For example:
Quote:
"With Manwë dwells Varda, Lady of the Stars, who knows all the regions of Eä. Too great is her beauty to be declared in the words of Men or of Elves; for the light of Ilúvatar lives still in her face. <CV Varda it was who at the playing of the Music had thought much of light that was white and silver, and of stars.> In light is her power and her joy."
The author of the BoLT Material in this case is Rúmil, yet as far as I remember, I don't recall Rúmil being the author of the Valaquenta. If we were to use such additions by him, does it falls in the same category as the Yavanna tree image that we faced in the Ainulindalë?
The only part that I might add, would be the ones about the Oarni/Earni. It is a very fine line that we are walking on.

This is just something that I wanted to point out from the Valaquenta in HoME X
Quote:
In my foreword to The Silmarillion I wrote that in the Valaquenta 'we have to assume that while it contains much that must go back to the earliest days of the Eldar in Valinor, it was remodelled in later times; and thus explain its continual shifting of tense and viewpoint, so that the divine powers seem now present and active in the world, now remote, a vanished order known only to memory.'
Quote:
Anyway, this was my first real post here. I hope it wasn't too impertinent, I'm just excited to get involved in some fashion. I also hope I used all that notation correctly...! Thanks for listening, and I look forward to participating more in this project.
Welcome to the project Raumohir, it is nice to see finally someone that posts that they want to join actually inmerse themselves in our work.