View Single Post
Old 03-22-2006, 11:54 AM   #342
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP the argumentative
So that means that the shopkeeper is at the mercy of a whole squadron of schoolkids, the numbers of whom are beyond her or his ability to keep an eye on for the threat of shoplifting. How is this a good thing? Or are shoplifters protected under French law too? Can a French shopkeeper "discriminate" against squatters? vandals? spitters in the shop? Or are they all protected by French law too?
You misconstrue me entirely. The assignment is not an attack on the shopkeeper's right to protect their property from thieves or vandals. The assignment is the stereotyping of all young people as pickpockets, the tarring with the same brush. All young people are punished for the actions of a very few. There is, in fact, a rather famous man in the Middle East who felt it entirely legitimate to punish an entire settlement with genocide for one man's failed attack on him.

Note also that the friend was German, not French.

I assign discovering prejudices within oneself. It gives motivation to change one's thoughts and ideas and to consciously re-shape oneself.

I also assign Latin. It's pretty.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote