View Single Post
Old 08-03-2003, 08:16 PM   #157
Chathol-linn
Animated Skeleton

Chathol-linn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Willofain answered: “I found the Orc-necklace by accident, while I was waiting for the worthy Stablemaster to assign me my duties. While exploring the stables, you see, I found an empty room with a set of clothes inside. I borrowed the shirt so I could wash my own, and in the pocket I found that awful thing. It looked like the one I saw in my village that day the Orcs attacked.”

The bard-woman seemed curious, so Willofain continued. “I tried to give it to Derufin, but there were so many people near us, I got jostled. I don’t know if Derufin has it, or what, and now he is gone! But he said a frightening thing before he left. He said, of my borrowed shirt, ‘the owner won’t be needing it.’ – or something like that.”

Willofain shook her head. “I think whoever owned the shirt had dealings with an Orc, as friend or foe. How else would the Orc-necklace come to be in the pocket? And whoever has it now, I hope they are careful. The Orc owner might want it back, and I keep hearing tales of ruffians.”

“Did you see any ruffians on your road from Gondor, Miss Talia? And did you know there is a man here – I followed him from Bree – whose speech sounds just like yours?”