View Single Post
Old 05-24-2005, 01:53 PM   #108
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom
What? Not your good looks, too? Is that why you made sure your back was turned in the pic?
Yep. Never considered myself good looking, and as I've never been approached to be a movie star nor a male model, assume that others observe the same. What my wife sees, I have no clue, but I do note that she can't see past her own nose without her contacts...

And, yes, my back is turned, but it's my favorite picture - couldn't find any other picture with the kids and me that I thought was good enough for the B-Ds. As a very proud parent, can't help mentioning the kids when I can squeeze it into conversation.

Quote:
Ha ha. Good point there. Worst case scenario would be that both kinds of people are nuts, because that makes me doubly nuts, being both a sports fan and a LOTR fan.
And throw in some Star Wars mania, and you'd never have to wear normal clothes again.

Life is short. Have a little fun now and again. My son and I hope to explore Moria this summer, and who cares what others think when they see our wooden swords and shields.

Quote:
That's a natural reaction. I ran from Santa when I was three. Well, I tried to run anyway, but my preschool teacher picked me up and plopped me forcibly onto his lap. I then proceeded to ease Santa's hurt feelings with a "I don't like you! I wanna go!"
I was never a big Santa fan, and so seeing my kids avoid the 'Santa's lap' obligatory picture (how boring!) every year just warms me inside. And it's not because I'm whispering to them that Santa will eat them, so it must be genetic .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
What you do in that case, is to show him the "dead" orc at the end of the Fellowship. As Aragorn's is running to Boromir, the orc looks up and watches him go by. Say to him, "But you thought this one was dead, and he isn't."
Still, headless orcs and mumakil-flattened Rohirrim are hard to explain without using the D-word.

Another positive is that that kids and I have discussed that the films do not depict actual events, and the EE extras with unmasked and dancing orcs helps show that it's all 'pretend.' We then moved on to discussing the toy commercials that bombard the kids constantly - "you thought that orcs looked real, then we saw that they were just like Daddy. Now, you see that toy car flying through the air...do you really think that it will perform as such when we buy it and get it home?"
alatar is offline   Reply With Quote