View Single Post
Old 10-30-2005, 01:43 PM   #56
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
I think the major issue Jackson has to deal with in adapting the books is not the POV issue, but the NARRATION issue. A lot of detail (especially exposition) is dealt with by Tolkien using a narrator’s voice.

Jackons does not use this in his films (except at the Prologue) – I personally don’t think narration works in films, and only a few try it – for example, how bad was the original version of Bladerunner compared with the ‘director’s cut’? ie the cinematic release had Ford narrating over it, and the director’s cut (without the narration) is far superior in my opinion.

Anyway, to get to my point, how Jackson deals with not having a narrator (and some other issues I'll point to) can be summed up here.
Someone earlier pointed out that if Bilbo hadn’t seen Gandalf in years, then why did the children know it was Gandalf? I think we already have been given a decent enough answer for this (is I think it boils down to Gandalf being a ‘legend’ amongst hobbits, and maybe something they tell their children/grandchildren about). Anyway, the reason we have this issue is that in the book, it is not Bilbo who Gandalf says this to but Frodo.

Film:
Quote:
Good to see you. One hundred and eleven years old, who would believe it? You haven't aged a day
Now, we have the book:
Quote:
Time wore on, but it seemed to have little effect on Mr. Baggins. At ninety he was much the same as at fifty. At ninety-nine they began to call him well-preserved, but unchanged would have been nearer the mark
and
Quote:
'Ah well eh? You look the same as ever, Frodo!'
Gandalf meets back with Frodo after Bilbo had left Bag End. Notice Gandalf looks at Frodo, not Bilbo and sees that he hadn’t changed after coming back to the Shire after a period of 9 years of absence. Therefore Jackson uses this scene to have Gandalf explain to the audience how old Bilbo is and that he hasn’t aged. Tolkien describes this in FOTR.

This is an issue Jackson has throughout the films, and this is why I can forgive him the changes. (To add to this, Jackson couldn't have Frodo in this scene to show the 9 and 12 year gaps in seing Gandalf - how could he make the hobbits look 12 years younger in the party scenes? - another reason for a film to be different to a book)

Other examples (and also a strange turn around about Tea and wine!):
Quote:
(Bilbo): Tea? Or maybe something a little stronger. I've got a couple of bottles of the old winyard left. 1296. Very good year. Almost as old as I am. It was laid down by my father.
(taken from Tolkien’s description of what Rory Brandybuck receives as a parting gift from Bilbo)

Quote:
Gandalf: Just tea, thank you.
And THIS is the ‘turn around’ I mean – from The Hobbit, and Bilbo offers Gandalf tea, and get’s the reply:
Quote:
What’s that? Tea! No thank you! A little red wine, I think, for me
– So our Movie Gandalf doesn’t like alcohol? Thank God he kept his pipe!!!!

To surmise, the precise moment I DEFINITLEY knew we we’re in good hands for these films was when we see Gandalf pick up the old map from the Hobbit – that attention to detail was marvellous – but to add to this listen very carefully you’ll hear Bilbo in the background saying:
Quote:
You caught me a bit unprepared, I'm afraid. We’ve only got some chicken and a bit of pickle…There’s some cheese. Oh no, that won’t do. We’ve got raspberry jam, an apple tart. But not much for afters. Oh no, we’re all right. I’ve just found some sponge cake.
– paraphrased from the same scene I’ve mentioned in the Hobbit where Bilbo is besieged by Gandalf and the Dwarves
Quote:
What’s that? Tea! No thank you! A little red wine, I think, for me” (Gandalf) “And for me” “And raspberry jam and apple-tart” (Bifur) “and mince-pies and cheese” “And pork-pie and salad” (Bombur)“And more cakes - and ale - and coffee, if you don’t mind” (Dwarves) “Put on a few eggs, there’s a good fellow!”
It’s little details like this that show the love and dedication the movie makers have for this film.
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote