View Single Post
Old 01-06-2004, 05:20 PM   #18
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Davem: Very nice post about Faramir, although I am still skeptical that Faramir's part would have worked in the movies.

Quote:
we've heard a great deal about the 'Glory of Gondor' & the 'Wisdom of Numenor', but we've seen precious little that's in any way admirable. In fact, we see very few likeable Gondoreans - Imrahil, Beregond.
What about Aragorn? He may not be 'Gondorian' in the sense that he didn't grow up there, but he is after all the descendant of Isildur and thus heir to the throne of Gondor. He certainly conveys the said virtues; the 'Wisdom of Numenor' certainly, and in a very real sense he does subtly radiate the idea and the meaning of the 'Glory of Gondor' as well, even before he is crowned King. That, combined with the kindness of Beregond and Bergil, the lore and obviously proud lineage of Denethor (who, yes, I still pity for his folly even after his deranged portrayal in the movie), and the obvious valor of such characters as Prince Imrahil, should suffice to give the impression of Gondor's superiority over other Men of the period and convey - and this is especially with Aragorn in mind - the wisdom and heritage that still lives in the people of Gondor. I think the plot could stand for Faramir to be at least momentarily tempted. It does not really hurt the plot, in my opinion, for Faramir to get caught up in the idea of pleasing his father and go overboard, as long as in the end he is revealed as more wise than the rash action he took would seem to suggest, and is able to overcome that temptation with a decision that shows his wisdom.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 6:21 PM January 06, 2004: Message edited by: Lord of Angmar ]