View Single Post
Old 11-08-2017, 08:39 PM   #10
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
Yes, if they had only been introduced at that point.

I am actually quite fond of the passage in the book where Pippin and Bergil watch the reinforcements arrive. It gives the reader about the structure of the Gondorian state, but also a sense of the peril and hopeless situation of Minas Tirith.
Yes, that is an important passage, Rune. I think the movies minimized the actual contribution and sacrifices of the Gondorions and their allies/vassals. The poignancy of the loss of such lords as Forlong the Fat at Pelennor made the books far superior in the aspects of lyricism and depth during the battle of Minas Tirith.

In fact, I think Jackson minimized the abilities and heroism of Gondorions, making them for the most part gibbering idiots and cowards. Even outnumbered as they were, one tall Gondorion was more than a match for any single orc, yet often we see the orcs overrunning Gondorions and defeating them single-handedly.