View Single Post
Old 11-17-2006, 12:52 AM   #3
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I have to say that movie Shelob didn't really do it for me. In the book, she was terrifying, second I believe only to the Nazgūl. There was something about her malicious, evil nature that chilled me to the bone. But in the movie, I believe her character was lost, and she was reduced to nothing more than a large spider. Scary to arachnophobes, maybe, but not evil enough to make this climactic scene all that it could have been.

I also prefer Gollum attacking Sam rather than the master who he supposedly had some feelings for. Rather than the twisted and confused entity we know so well from TTT, I believe ROTK Gollum was reduced merely to another bad guy, totally evil and beyond redemption. And that, in my opinion, makes him less interesting.

Quote:
Although I too have always thought it rather stupid that he and Eowyn are sitting in the middle of the camp with helmets off, and no one apparently sees them.
In PJs defence ( ), Dernhelm in the book had an "understanding" with the leader of the éored (Elfhelm?) such that the presence of her and Merry was known and tolerated.