View Single Post
Old 02-10-2002, 06:27 PM   #1
Thingol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thingol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Of Ents and Dragons

In the Silm it says Melkor bread the dragons. My question is did Maiar or some sort of spirit inhabit the dragons like the werewolves or were they just maintained by the power of Melkor kind of like the dwarves and Aule before Illuvitar gave them life? Speeking of spirits inhabiting werewolves, are the ruined spirits that are mentioned Maiar or are they corrputed Elf Fea, like the Barrow Wights were? I'm pretty sure Carchaoth was a Maiar, but what about the other werewolves, and what about Vampires? The dragon's being created by Melkor is consistent with the whole Melkor dispersing his power into his minions theme. It required a great deal of Melkor's power to create and control his minions. Although that creates a problem, how did the dragons go on living after Melkor was destroyed? Smaug was certainly no puppet. Also do dragons live forever? In The Hobbit it says something to the effect of Dragons living practically forever if they are not slain. Does practically meen they are not imortal, or is this just one of those slips in The Hobbit? On Ents, what happens to Ent spirits when they die? I've always thought that when Ents get treeish that is sort of like the elves growing weary of life and laying down and dying. Do the Ents go to the Halls of Mandos if they die? (Either being slain or forsaking life and turning into trees)

[ February 10, 2002: Message edited by: Thingol ]
Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.