View Single Post
Old 02-11-2002, 09:52 AM   #3
Elenhin
Wight

Elenhin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that it's quite likely that the spirits of the Dragons were minor Maiar, a lot lesser in power than the Balrogs. The Dragons were able to live even after Melkor had been thrust to the Void, and so I think that they can't have been completely maintained by Melkor's thought. Their spiritual powers were probably enhanced and controlled by Melkor, though. Melkor's influence didn't necessarily mean total loss of independence - there are passages which tell us about Melkor dispersing his power to the Balrogs as well, and I'm quite certain that such major Maiar weren't mere puppets of their master.

I think that the first Dragons, those inhabited by Maiar, were probably immortal. A strong spirit can keep a body alive for an indefinite time - Elves, Valar and Maiar can all do this. I'd say that the offspring of the Maiar-inhabited Dragons was probably mortal, but very long-lived.

I believe that the spirits of the werewolves were corrupted Elven spirits. This makes sense to me, as it was Sauron the Necromancer who was the Lord (and possibly the maker?) of werewolves. Sauron's necromancy was based on the spirits of dead Elves (see the Barrow-wight thread for more on this), and the werewolves were probably both too numerous and too weak for their spirits to be Maiar, even minor ones. I don't think it's just a coincidence that the same person is both the Necromancer (master of controlling spirits of the dead) and the Lord of werewolves (monsters inhabited by evil spirits).
This is just speculation, though, even though I find lots of support for it in the texts.