View Single Post
Old 11-20-2004, 11:05 AM   #691
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien About Marigold

I'm hoping the delight will be mutual. Freudian sleep? Owtch!

Okay, just to give you all an idea of what I'm thinking for Marigold. This is not set in stone, just mud (it is a swamp after all).

Marigold is riverdaughter of the Entwash. Since Goldberry's parentage is no clearer than that, Marigold's need not be either. Just what a riverdaughter is, is really left to the imagination. I suppose one could say that it's the spirit of the river... but not really, since she is called its daughter rather than its fëa.

Anyway, Marigold does partake of the authority of Tom Bombadil, the way I'm writing her, such that she is Lady of her realm, able to command both living and dead as to her will. Other than that, she is much like Goldberry.... except that she is mostly associated with the swamps of the Entwash. Perhaps the Entwash that travels through the plains of Rohan has a different river daughter (?)

At any road, I see the Elves being rather bemused and taken with her, for she is a frank personification of a part of Middle Earth. She does not fit into their osanwe any more than Tom fit into the dynamics of the Ring. So I'm thinking that her mind is closed to them, and vice versa. Yet she likes Elves because they hold life dear, even swamp life.

Right now she wears a crone persona - just thought I'd like to do that - but she is not limited to that. She is older than most Elves, as I've indicated, calling Tharonwe a stripling!

Finally, I broke off where I did in order to let those of you who wish, to have whatever kinds of reactions you would like to her. Have fun!