Thread: LotR2-TTT-Seq01
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2006, 03:50 PM   #3
Artano

I think the opening of this movie was very well done. The sharp contrast between the close ups of the fall and the very wide shot of the two approaching the lake does a good job of showing the action while maintaing a sense of scale.

Also, I agree that Gollum really is a defining moment for CG animation.

I think the reason why Gollum is so succesfully as a CG character, is for maybe, the first time, the CG element was not intended to replace and actor's prescence, but was used to enhance the actor's prescence.

In most CG movies it seems the CG character to meant to be the actor and they get some voice actor so it makes the right sounds. However, what LotR did so succesfully, is it took Andy Cerkis (who will never receive the true credit he deserves for acting in that role) and let him be Gollum. In effect, the CG is being used as a very impressive make-up job, rather than a actor replacement.

As an aside let me say, I have no idea how much Andy Cerkis got for playing Gollum, but it couldn't be close to what he deserved. If you watched any of the behind the scenes features you know they tortured that poor guy!