Thread: LotR2-TTT-Seq01
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2006, 09:16 AM   #15
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug*platypus
Although this will anger many a Gollum fanboy, I have to say that I'm not convinced the filmmakers got his look exactly right. For me, the definitive Gollum is the one represented in the Alan Lee illustrated centenary version of LOTR. Although not quite monstrous, he is quite an odd looking creature, with bulging yellow eyes, lank hair and sharp teeth. Gollum in the movies (well, in TTT and ROTK at least) looked a bit too much like an old man, and was not really scary to look at.
Considering that Smeagol is hobbit-stock, just how far from the norm can we expect him to go? I think that PJ made him more hobbit-like, not only for simplicity, but also so that later Frodo can see himself in the fallen soul. "There but for the love of Sam go I..."

Quote:
Is this the sequence where Sam pulls Gollum via the rope around his throat off some rocks? Too violent for me; I never would have imagined Sam capable of such action (although in the book he was frequently tempted to slay Gollum).
Now that you mention it, it seems that Sam with the rope is not only violent but much stronger than one would think. Even having Gollum being emaciated (not that, by this time, Sam would be well-fed), still, one would think that the creature could resist Sam somewhat, and not be like a doll on a leash.