View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #28
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe From TENT, MESPN, and TTN: 5th Anniversary of the Arda Cup Special

It was almost five years ago when the very first match in the inaugural Arda Cup tournament was played between Michel Delving and Rómenna at Rivendell. Since then there have been 320 games of drama, disappointments, and displays of willpower and skill in the premier Cup completion in Arda.

Three of the media partners of the Arda Cup, Tar-Eldar Network Television, Middle Earth Sports Programming Network, and the Two Towers Network, present a look back at the best moments of the five previous Arda Cups.

The first ever edition remained the only Arda Cup tournament Fëanor has ever won thus far. His Formenos squad comprised all his sons, grandson Celebrimbor, niece Aredhel, and Huan at goal. The 2008 Arda Cup also featured the only time Fëanor and Túrin met on the pitch, in the final game no less.

It was, however, the game immediately before that, the third-place tie between Tol-in-Gaurhoth and Armenelos, that became our writers’ pick as the most memorable:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom
I [. . .] recall the bronze match being a lot of fun, with TIG defeating Armenelos with the storyline that they time-wasted until the moon came out and they became Werewolves, heh heh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
I agree with [the phantom], the Bronze match between TIG and [Armenelos] was a gem. In how the wolves delayed the game long enough to turn into wolf form and just storm back to bruise up those haughty Numenoreans. Only to make their exit with the Bronze trophy before Mablung's guard arrived.
Our writers agree that the most memorable story from the second Arda Cup was upstarts Mirkwood making it all the way to the semifinals, beating contenders Túna and Valimar along the way.
Quote:
[The surprise upset of the tournament] has to be Mirkwood's win against Valimar in the quarter-finals. It was the only game I predicted wrong, and in fact Valimar's score was the only one I got wrong in the quarters that year, of course it's shocking!
The Phantom of MESPN even suggested that Mirkwood’s Cinderella run had an effect on Armenelos’s title chance:
Quote:
The two teams I remember from this tournament- Mirkwood and Armenelos. The Numenoreans were solid and added the talent of Sauron to the mix so obviously they were good, but if I'm not mistaken I had three or four teams ranked ahead of them in my estimation (Hithlum and Valimar, and some combination of Tuna or Angband or Utumno). And Mirkwood wasn't considered a very realistic title threat at all.

But then Mirkwood pulled an overtime upset over Tuna despite getting beaten in all other stats, and then they upset Valimar in a shootout. It was quite a run, and it also kept Armenelos from having to play one of those other squads in the semis.
There was not much consensus as to what the best moment of the 2010 Arda Cup. Valimar’s shock defeat against Norbury was acknowledged, as well as Vinyamar’s run to the final, and, of course, who could forget Arien’s solo performance (two goals, two assists, and a red card drawn against Glaurung) against Thangorodrim in the last group stage matchday. But there was no single moment that defined that tournament. Here is instead a collection of five games from our three writers:
Quote:
I seem to remember that the anticipation ahead of the Gondolin vs Tirion quarterfinal was especially big that year- both looked very good going in, and I think maybe Nog called it "what should've been the final". (That was the year that Tirion had Finwe-Feanor-Miriel-Nerdanel, and after group play Nerdanel led the whole field with 22 points).

But my favorite game that year had to be Vinyamar defeating The Barrow-Downs. As sad as the result was, it made for a great story. (That was the game where it was all Urwen's fault that the Downs lost, ha ha.)
Quote:
Gondolin - Vinyamar Finals [was the best]. (Even though I think the semi matches were a bit more thrilling) Gondolin's win in the finals clinched my rightful Phantasy title [. . .] [And a surprise upset was] Norbury's defeat of [Valimar] in the Round of 16. Araphor continuing his knack for scoring big goals late, and in pressure situations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilpaurion Felagund
In the semifinals, Gondolin went two goals behind to an Utumno team that had never yet conceded in five games, but Fingolfin and company would not be denied, forcing extra time and then pinching a winner through Maeglin’s free kick.
It was a rare confluence of dominance and brilliance—the 2011 champions also produced the most memorable moment of the tournament.
Quote:
Well the biggest standout here is obviously Doriath, putting together the most successful overall tournament of any squad (big surprise, given the roster). It was also cool that the other streaking super-team got to the finals as well (Tol-In-Gaurhoth), so it was a clash of the titans (though the final game didn't turn out as close as I hoped for drama).
Quote:
Doriath and Tol-in-Gaurhoth crushed all before them, including an exciting Valinor team featuring the Arien-Míriel-Nerdanel combo up front and an Angband side desperate for the Cup (both falling 3-1 to Doriath), as well as a resurgent team of Númenóreans in Westernesse, and Pelóri, the team where Manwë finally found the balance between defensive solidity and goalscoring (both losing to TiG). It’s fitting that these two juggernauts met in the final, and equally fitting that the only team to win every game by at least a two-goal margin won with a two-goal margin. 2011 Doriath may have been the catalyst for the drastic financial changes to be implemented the very next year, so dominating they were.
The first tournament after the implementation of various reforms brought about an evening of the playing field—and more drama. The pre-tournament favourites FC Valinor toyed around with their rivals Real Valinor with an aggregate score of 5-1, but they were shockingly eliminated in a tense penalty shootout against Erebor. It was, however, the sheer drama of the semifinal ties that year stole our writers’ imaginations.
Quote:
The semifinals, wow! Real vs AC Bel: You knew Arien was on-form that day—every decision she made was spot-on. You also expected Fëanor to rally his troops after going two goals behind, but Real showed steel and cunning, holding back AC Bel’s frightening attack and instigating counterattacks to keep Fingolfin and company on their toes.

And the other semifinal, Eriador vs Erebor, was slightly better for drama. Two solid teams from back to front nicking a goal each in ninety minutes, a wonderful goal crafted by the Witch-king and Glorfindel in extra time, and an Elrond penalty save against Smaug just before the final whistle. Just a cracking pair of games.
Quote:
The two semi-finals were spectacular and gave a chance to finally insert the TTN - AKM feud somewhat. I'm going to pick the Middle-earth semi though between Erebor and Eriador. Elrond's masterful performance and the Witch-King's OT goal put Eriador into the finals against Real Valinor.
Quote:
I [. . .] recall that the semis between Real and AC was quite the buildup and match.
And there you have it: the most memorable Arda Cup moments from 2008 to 2012. From all of us at TENT, TTN, and MESPN, happy 5th Anniversary to the Arda Cup, and here’s to five more years of great games.

Last edited by Nilpaurion Felagund; 06-07-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote