View Single Post
Old 04-01-2003, 03:12 PM   #185
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Jem hung back as the children were reunited with their parents, feeling awkward and out of place. He fingered the hilt of his sword briefly, then pulled his hand away. Never again would he use it outside of self-defense.

And what would he do, now that he could no longer be a corsair? He had told Awyrgan that he was not a pirate, and it had been the truth. He was no longer a lost child, frightened and ready to fall in with whoever showed him some small kindness. He stood at a crossroads in his life, and he would have to choose a path.

He stepped up to the children, asked their parents with his eyes for permission to speak, then smiled gently at them. "Ulmo bless you and keep you, and may you always find with the sea a safe haven," he said. He stood up and turned to their parents. "You are fortunate to have children like these. They were braver in the face of danger than most adults I have known. Wherever their paths in life lead them, they will have nothing to fear." A little startled by his own words, Jem let his hands drop to his sides. "I'll let you have your time alone. This will take some healing. Myself, Him,"--this he said with a mischievous twinkle in his eyes and a sly grin--"take care of yourselves. Walk in the light of the sun until we meet again, my young friends. I will remember you."

He bowed to them, and walked away into the sunset. He would remember them, and he hoped that they would remember him. They had given him a great gift; now to form a new life for himself.

[ April 01, 2003: Message edited by: Orual ]