View Single Post
Old 01-01-2004, 11:21 PM   #12
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Depends on whether you are talking "breeds" or "size"; you must be aware that height is the technical dividing line between "horse" and "pony". As I recall the number is Fourteen Hands. (Do I recall correctly?) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Actually it often depends on what breed the horse is to whether it is a horse or a pony. Some smaller breeds ponies are 12 hands and under and larger breeds may be 14 hands and under. It all depends on the horse. My horse was a Appaloosa and she was about 13 hands which for that particular breed is more a horse than a pony because Appaloosa's are "normally" are only about 15 hands. But if you want to get really compilcated you must understand that the really really small horse called mini horses are not considered ponies but horses. Why this is I really don't know but that is the catagory they are considered in. I think that the horses Merry and Pippen rode were ponies because they seemed like desendents from a larger breed like angloarabs. Ok I just rambled off 8 years of knowledge so I will stop.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote