View Single Post
Old 11-17-2006, 08:03 AM   #62
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I recently had the privilege of visiting New Zealand and took advantage of the opportunity to go to Matamata to see the remnants of the Hobbiton movie location. Even with only the skeleton hobbit holes left for seeing, it was a remarkable sight! The whole sheep farm on which it is located is huge, and so far from any signs of civilization that it really does feel like being in another world. Most of all I was impressed by the Party Tree - it's wonderful, very large and beautiful.

Here's a picture of the hill as it looks now:

As you can guess, the question of legal rights was an obstacle that needed to be overcome for the owner of the farm; he is not allowed to restore any doors, windows, etc., but only to keep the current state of the leftover film location as it is. Should a Hobbit movie be made, I can imagine that it could easily be rebuilt.

Here's the Party Tree, taken from the window of Bag End:

And finally, here's your truly, stepping on the very stones upon which Gandalf stood when he knocked on the door!

It was a truly awesome experience for me and I encourage anyone who has the chance to go there!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote