View Single Post
Old 07-12-2023, 08:19 PM   #2
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alassë Estel View Post
I'll get straight to the point: I am really wondering, are there yet unpublished tales, Middle Earth related or not, which we've not heard before?

There were several books published posthumously. And Christopher Tolkien edited and published some of his father's work after J.R.R.T's death, I think. But is there anything left? Do you suppose we could dare hope that we may get new material over the next decades? I am assuming someone here would certainly know. It may be a fool's hope, I fear. But it should make for a discussion, at any rate.
Christopher Tolkien spent the greater part of his life publishing his father's unfinished manuscripts with great detail: The Silmarillion, the 12 volume History of Middle-earth, The Children of Húrin, The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún, The Fall of Arthur, Beowulf: A Translation and Commentary, Beren and Lúthien, The Fall of Gondolin, etc., working feverishly nearly up to the last year of his life to ensure copyrights for the Tolkien Family Trust could be held for the forseeable future.

There was also an official separate book, The Nature of Middle-earth, which is a compilation of minor writings by J.R.R. Tolkien, edited by Carl F. Hostetter and published in 2021 in a single book.

Other than that, there is scant left that is workable at this point. Or worthwhile, for that matter. Just picking over the bones.