View Single Post
Old 01-01-2002, 11:11 PM   #3
Elenhin
Wight

Elenhin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't think that "fin" in their names is really relevant in this context. It may be a reference to the person's hair, but I think that in the Noldorin royal house "fin" is more likely a reference to Finwe, their father - and he did not have golden locks, or anything else special in his hair. At least the three sons of Finwe were not named after their hair, but their father (Curufinwe, Ñolofinwe and Arafinwe - Curufinwe was better known as Feanor, and Ñolofinwe and Arafinwe were "Sindarinized" to Fingolfin and Finarfin).

Gil-galad's hair is a difficult matter, I think, largely because Tolkien never decided whose child he should be. The published Silmarillion makes him Fingon's son (a somewhat doubtful decision by Cristopher), and if we go by that I'd say that Gil-galad was dark-haired - Fingolfin's house was not known for golden hair. On the other hand, if he was of the golden house of Finarfin then I'd say that he had golden hair.

I was quite surprised to see dark hair with Gil-galad in the movie, but it was a pleasant surprise. Blond hair should have been an exception, not the rule.