View Single Post
Old 12-22-2004, 01:42 PM   #74
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
the critical mind is the creative mind ;)

The extra scenes in ROTk and the additions to the old scenes, seemed...rushed, for lack of a better term. There was no enrichment added to the story, although there were notable exceptions, some of them being the scene where Gandalf talks about Minas Tirith and its kings (originally Faramir's lines), the Crossroads scene, the Merry - Eowyn interaction on the way to Gondor (I really loved that scene). But all in all, these new scenes were short or dissapointingly short (Houses of Healing scene, the Faramir-Eowyn scene).

And my least favourite scene -and I guess nobody will argue with that is Aragorn killing off the Mouth of Sauron. That is just so senseless and stupid, in doesn't make any sense, no matter the context you'd want to put it in. There is nothing redeemable about that hollywoodian out-of-character (for Aragorn) scene. That really makes me mad, and I'll never get tired of criticising the guts out of that scene and other bad scenes like that one. Because that scene spoils the following scene for me as well, especially the For Frodo bit. It sounds like revenge now, like yea 'let's kick their butts for doing this to us", not like noble sacrifice.

I wouldn't mind those bad scenes if everything else was as bad or mediocre. But I know that PJ and team can better that, I've seen what they can do. They can do wonderful, in character scenes, even if they don't always go by the book. And in this case, such blatant disregard for a character's personality and esentially for the values the good guys stand for (A messanger is never killed - that is one of the unwritten rules of old that someone would expect Sauron to break but never Aragorn) is inexcusable. Compare this with the dignified attitude that so humiliates the Mouth of Sauron and makes him retreat, defeated, from the book.

The bad scenes muddy the good scenes too, you can't just overlook them.
Imagine for instance, listening to a song of your favourite band and hearing in the background among the sounds you love, 'oops I did it again' or something like that.