View Single Post
Old 05-09-2005, 09:14 PM   #697
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Ravion

Ravion sat by the hearth with his ale, staring sullenly into the flames. He was alone save for Erundil and Taitheneb, who had stayed to watch Tharonwe, he seemed to think, though he was not sure. He shook his head slowly, then gazed into his mug with disgust.

"You look contemplative." Ravion sighed deeply and turned around, fixing hostile eyes on Erundil.

"Shouldn't you be watching that swamp creature?" the younger Ranger snapped irritably, raising the mug to his lips only to put it back down again. He kept his eyes on the mug, though, unwilling to make any more eye contact with his erstwhile tutor. He knew that it would not deter Erundil, but he did not have to listen.

"I told Taitheneb that I was coming down. I will be brief, much to his relief and yours." There was an infuriating touch of amusement in Erundil's voice that rubbed Ravion entirely the wrong way.

"Then be brief and leave me to my contemplation," Ravion growled, still refusing to meet Erundil's eyes.

Erundil sat by Ravion, much to the younger man's dismay. "You should go to Mellonin."

"Be quiet."

"You should talk to her."

"Be quiet!"

"If you do not do it now, you will regret it."

Ravion jumped up, splashing his ale all over the hearth. He ignored the glares from the bartender. "What do you know about this? Nothing. You cannot understand."

Erundil gazed calmly at Ravion. "Perhaps not. I have spent too much time here as it is; but listen to this. You have succeeded in your mission--you did for her what you promised to do. You found her brother. Perhaps it is time to go on a mission for yourself. Find something for yourself, Ravion. Perhaps you have finally earned a little happiness."

Erundil went back to join Taitheneb, leaving Ravion slightly stunned in his wake. The younger Ranger watched Erundil's back until he was out of sight, then looked down at the ground. He was baffled by Erundil's words. He liked to think that he was right in saying that Erundil knew nothing, but...

But...what if he is right? What if I will regret not speaking to Mellonin?

Thoughts raced through his head at high speed, bouncing off of each other and filling his mind with meaningless noise. He grabbed his mug of ale, and set it down with determination on a table. Then he went up to the bar and put his money down on the counter...

...And ran out of the inn.

Last edited by Orual; 06-16-2006 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Timeline