View Single Post
Old 07-18-2005, 01:46 AM   #4
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Esty: What a post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esty
Another thing that impressed me strongly was Denethor's horrible attitude, especially in his words to his only remaining son. His increasing despair is palpable, but the negative words to Faramir made me catch my breath, and put a tight ring around my heart. How do they affect you?
The way Denethor spoke to Faramir was enough to make the not-too-attentive reader think that their relationship is only like that of a soldier to his commanding officer. While I understand that desperation is driving Denethor to say such words to his own son, he did not realize that Faramir also has his own burden to bear - not only his, but also that which Boromir left behind. Faramir doesn't really need a nagger (nay, worse) along with all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enca
Quote:
"And why should such songs be unfit for my halls, or for such hours as these? We who have lived long under the Shadow may surely listen to echoes from a land untroubled by it? Then we may feel that our vigil was not fruitless, though it may have been thankless." (Denethor)
Ouch.
Exactly what I said myself. But compare this to what Halbarad said in the previous chapter:
Quote:
'A little people, but of great worth are the Shire-folk,' said Halbarad. 'Little do they know of our long labour for the safekeeping of their borders, and yet I grudge it not.'
This just goes to show that despite what he thinks of himself, Denethor is totally immature. Or is this also a comment brought about by their current situation, like the way Denethor treats his son?

There are a lot of changes Pippin has gone through in this chapter - so much that by the end of it you'll hardly remember how Pippin used to be.

All these began with a simple
Quote:
His old clothes were folded and put away.
They say clothes make the man, or the hobbit. This simple act shows that Pippin was forced to lay aside all his hobbit-ness and assume his new 'persona,' that of a soldier of Gondor.
Quote:
He looked now, had he known it, verily Ernil i Pheriannath, the Prince of the Halflings, that folk had called him; but he felt uncomfortable. And the gloom began to weigh on his spirits.
With his joyous nature taken away, he starts to see things in a new light, or in darkness in this case. And though he might look (and feel) more noble than ever before, he knows that who he has become is not the real him, and so he feels discomfort. And the fact that all these take place in such a somber environment does not really help him.

This summarizes the complete character change he has gone through:
Quote:
Already it seemed years to Pippin since he had sat there before, in some half-forgotten time when he had still been a hobbit, a light-hearted wanderer touched little by the perils he had passed through. Now he was one small soldier in a city preparing for a great assault, clad in the proud but sombre manner of the Tower of Guard. (italics mine)
Another thing that has greatly changed is his lack of cheer, replaced by his full grasp of the consequences of his 'costume change'.
Quote:
In some other time and place Pippin might have been pleased with his new array, but he knows now that he was taking part in no play...The hauberk was burdensome, and the helm weighed upon his head.
Unfortunately for Pippin, those physical troubles are not the worse of his experiences in that gear.

For one, here's this:
Quote:
"And I'm not used, Master Beregond, to wait hungry on others while they eat. It is a sore trial for a hobbit, that."
Poor, poor Pippin.

Now we digress a little, and see what this scenario reminds you of.
Quote:
...And when [Pippin] saw the pale face of Faramir he caught his breath. It was the face of one who has been assailed by a great fear or anguish, but has mastered it and now is quiet.
Merry and Dernhelm, anyone? While Dernhelm was off to seek death, Faramir seemed to be almost greeted by it. Dernhelm let 'his' feelings show while Faramir tried to control them. What does this tell us about Eowyn and Faramir, aside from "opposites (really) attract?"

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 07-18-2005 at 01:57 AM. Reason: What's a 'touble?'
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote